Welcome to a slightly different blog… From now on Ali will be writing a purely climbing blog and I’ll be covering the “other stuff”. So if you want the beta on his latest crushes click HERE, or read on for the more fluffy stuff from our travels and non climbing life...

Thursday, December 1, 2011

"Lost" sector at Mont-ral

Today we ventured to one of the slightly more esoteric sectors of Mont-ral - Paret del Grevol. Tucked away in a narrow corridor behind one of the most classic sunny sectors, and accessed by a few 'via ferrata' rungs, it seemed like a bit of a lost crag - but one which I'd walked past many times before but never noticed. Which is amazing given that a lot of the routes were up to 40m in length!


The corridor with the imposing Paret del Grevol sector on the right and Per Dins on the left.
A bit of a dingy belay spot, but once on the routes it was all forgotten! Slightly 'dusty' feeling on the lower half and definitely needs more traffic but the rock quality was just brilliant.


'La potencia de l'eunuc' (6c+) - my warm up for today and a total classic on amazing rock (40m long!).
Check the 'old-skool' stripey vest and leggings! Photo from the guide.

After the warm-up I managed to on-sight the route I'd come here to try - L'insubmis (7c+). The low crux involved pulling on some tiny tiny credit card skin-shredding edges through a bulge, and once I'd done that first go I sure as hell wasn't going to repeat it, so I fought on to the top! But 35m of thin and technical climbing with a few decent rests thrown in does not equal speedy climbing so Tash had to endure over an hour of belaying down in the darkness! ;-)


L'insubmis (F7c+) at Paret del Grevol, Mont-ral.
Again, photo from the guide and check the short shorts!

I finished off with a few easier on-sights - 'Crisol' (7a+) and 'Acebicidio' (7a), and the day was done. Definitely psyched for a return here in the near future, as I spotted plenty of other good routes and sectors in the vicinity.

No comments:

Post a Comment