Welcome to a slightly different blog… From now on Ali will be writing a purely climbing blog and I’ll be covering the “other stuff”. So if you want the beta on his latest crushes click HERE, or read on for the more fluffy stuff from our travels and non climbing life...

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Misled by the morning murk...

With the forecast looking really good again this week, we were all set for a day at Siurana today. But we woke up to find Montbrió under a layer of murk, and couldn't even see up to the hills from the balcony...normally a bad omen! There was no sign of it burning off any time soon and it felt cold outside so we opted for the safety of Masriudoms again. But as soon as we'd parked up and started walking in, the sun came out and the temperature rocketed. We'd been well and truly duped!!


Even the almond trees are being fooled by the temperatures...they think it's spring!

Almond tree blossom - one for the nature lovers!


By the time we got to the cave it was starting to get really hot so I decided to get on my route straight away, before the temperatures got unbearable. I quickly warmed up on ATP 6c, then put the first 3 draws in my route (Ricacera). I came down and immediately went for a redpoint. The bottom crux moves felt fine, but I got a really bad flash pump immediately after, which I ended up fighting all the way (one go up a short 6c obviously wasn't sufficient warm up!). I was really pumped by the end of the 8a section, but managed to get a little bit back at the knee-bar - though nowhere near as much as I normally would from a hands off rest. I carried on anyway onto the extension and made it through the bulge and onto the upper wall, which felt fine despite being really tired and pumped, until my efforts were halted when a foothold broke. Tash was standing a way off to the right to avoid the occasional loose stuff I was kicking down, so she went flying when I fell and I took a massive fall!!! Quite exciting.

I was too disappointed for my efforts to end with a hold breaking, after fighting the pump for so long, that I couldn't face another go. So I just went to the top and stripped it on the way down, then sat around belaying and sunbathing for the rest of the day :-)

Tash had quite a few goes on ATP 6c, falling every time at the same crux move. By the time she managed to get through this move though it was absolutely baking and she was too tired to finish it off. But at least she got to a new high point!

Tash finally getting through the crux moves on ATP L1 (F6c), only to run out of steam higher up.

No comments:

Post a Comment