After originally planning to go up north this weekend, the Friday forecast didn't inspire confidence so we left it until Saturday morning to make the final decision. The forecasts were still predicting a little rain here on Saturday afternoon and a lot more on Sunday, but significantly less rain over in Margalef. And with tips still a little tender from Thursday's crimpy session Margalef was the more appealing option climbing-wise so that was decision made. In the end it was sunny the whole weekend and the rain didn't materialise until we were driving back this afternoon and Siurana was hidden in a cloud of ming - good decision!
Saturday we went to Ca la Marta and conditions were perfect in the shade - shorts and T-shirt for climbing and down jacket for belaying. Plus we had the crag pretty much to ourselves the whole day :-)
After warming up on some nice little 6b's on the right-hand side I put the draws in the project for the day - 'Twist as Lola' (8a). I'd been on this once before last April but the day I tried it the tufa was wet and it was ridiculously humid so I didn't even bother with a redpoint. Today it felt like a completely different route and after the bouldery crux at the bottom it was just a steady tick. So with that done sooner than expected I finished off the day with a few 7a & 7b onsights. Tash pulled out all the stops on her final go of the day and managed a really short and bouldery 7a - good effort! We celebrated with a nice cup of black tea (I forgot to bring any milk!).
| The reservoir and pic-nic pontoon back in April with Ca la Marta crag in the background (note the water level!) |
Sunday breakfast wasn't as appetising as usual - cereal with water instead of milk (not recommended) and a cup of black tea! Thankfully the climbing was a bit more succesful. Tash wanted to go back to Can dit Gros to lead the 7a she top-roped last weekend so I got on the 7c+ to the right of the one I did last week. It turned out to be just as good, with a hard undercut start on small pockets then good crimps leading to the easier slightly overhanging wall above - done 2nd go! Tash then crushed her route, despite bleeding on all the holds from a sliced finger, and I ticked the final route at this sector - a brand new 7b+. So we don't need to come back here again! The drive back was a little exciting as the fuel light had been on since leaving home Saturday morning. Thanks to a bit of free wheeling down the hills we made it back ok, but not without the obligatory "sh*t we've run out..." prank, which Tash fell for hook, line & sinker! How funny am I.
![]() |
| Guess who's trashed fingers these are...not very lady like! |


No comments:
Post a Comment