Welcome to a slightly different blog… From now on Ali will be writing a purely climbing blog and I’ll be covering the “other stuff”. So if you want the beta on his latest crushes click HERE, or read on for the more fluffy stuff from our travels and non climbing life...

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Two 'wad' ticks in a day in Siurana...

The temperatures remained low this week so it was another cold start to the day driving up to Siurana (-4°). The icefall below Reserva India seems to be forming nicely again! We went to Can Piqui Pugui, one of the most classic 'old-school' sectors in Siurana and somewhere I hadn't been for a while. It's always a good bet that it'll be warm down there and today we weren't disappointed. Perfect climbing temps - t-shirt for climbing and down jacket for belaying. I warmed up on a new 7a (Marvi Forever) to the left of Delicatessen, which was bolted only last year and turned out to be a great route. It still needs a bit more traffic to clean it up properly but the rock and the moves on it were fantastic, and there wasn't even a hint of polish - something which you fully expect to find in such an old sector. Then I got on 'Decidet en petit comite' (soft 7b) - a bit of a one-move-wonder going off the top of the massive flake, but another good route. Tash managed to get the draws in 'Toca-me-la Sam' (6c+) and had a decent redpoint go but fell at the final undercut crux. I then finished with 'Cleptomania' (7c) - a route I'd been saving the on-sight on for a while. I was pleased (a) most importantly to finally get this done, as it has a bit of a reputation as a hard 7c with some quite technical climbing (typical of Siurana!) and (b) that it didn't feel too bad - every move felt totally in control and I still had plenty left at the chains - time to get on some more 7c+ on-sights?! Above all though it was yet another brilliant route - I love Siurana!

The French Petzl team turned up mid-morning (including Alizée Dufraisse and the 15 year old 9a+ wonderkid Enzo Oddo) so we watched them for a bit before it was time to go to work.


Alizée Dufraisse (French wad-ess) on the awesome looking 'Chicane' (F8c+) at sector Can Piqui Pugui, Siurana and another French guy on 'Gigololo' (F8a+) in the background.




No comments:

Post a Comment