Welcome to a slightly different blog… From now on Ali will be writing a purely climbing blog and I’ll be covering the “other stuff”. So if you want the beta on his latest crushes click HERE, or read on for the more fluffy stuff from our travels and non climbing life...

Saturday, January 15, 2011

What a difference a year makes...

Well the winter heatwave has continued throughout this week and we've had several days climbing up at Siurana. I can't believe what a contrast it's been to this time last year when we had a metre of snow up in Siurana and the entire road was blocked off from right down in Cornudella. This year it's been consistently 15-18°!!!






Siuranella this week.














Siuranella this time last year!























On Monday we went up to Siuranella central. I got on a really thin, technical and bouldery 7c+ with a cool dyno move that I'd tried before xmas. I put the clips in the start where the crux is and then lowered back to the floor. I then did the hard bit first go and collected the draws I'd left hanging in the 4th draw so I could finish the route but forgot that there was one blind and tricky move right at the top...which I couldn't remember how to do and blew obviously! By this point it was getting pretty warm so I just decided to sack it off and save some skin for tomorrow.









Sunshine at Siuranella central.





















Tuesday we went to a really nice sector called Solarium on the Siuranella cliffs. I'd been here before and on-sighted the two good 7a+'s and a 7c but couldn't remember what the other routes looked like. Turns out there's an amazing 8a called Total Insanity. I put the draws in and eventually worked out the crux move (moving off a good undercut pocket but with the worst feet ever and the tiniest left hand undercut). Had a good effort and got through the crux 1st redpoint but was pretty tired and the extra xmas weight let me know it was there so I dropped the last hard 'dyno' move to the finishing jug. It should go next time anyway.

Thursday we were up at Siuranella again - this time Siuranella south. I just had an easyish day of onsighting, doing a 7a+ and a 7b. Tash didn't fair so well and got shut down on the classic 6b+ 'Like a Cuc'.

The heatwave looks set to continue this weekend so we might go away for some multi-pitching...

No comments:

Post a Comment