The weather this week has been a bit too hot to contemplate climbing at the usual local spots so we decided to have a few days at the beach instead. Wednesday was a typical beach day, just down at Cambrils, with the first swim of the year.
I'd heard about some deep water soloing down on the coast to the north of Tarragona, near Torredembarra, and today we finally went to try and find it. We only had a pretty poor topo of some sport routes down there and also a few photos of a small cave with some DWS lines, but no real idea of where they were. After wandering around the port at Torredembarra (where we found a little bouldering cave with some chipped holds), we headed up onto the headland and past the big tower. This section of coast had some nice looking caves, prows and other rock features which would be ideal for DWS but they either had big rock platforms underneath, making it too dangerous, or they looked quite tricky to get established on.
 |
| The bouldering roof at Torredembarra port. |
 |
| Potential DWS territory, if only you could get established on it somehow. |
 |
| Past the big tower. |
Beyond the big tower we dropped down to a nice little cove with a perfect quiet sandy beach and on the far side of the beach we found the DWS cave I'd seen online :-) Unfortunately at this point my camera battery ran out so I couldn't get any pics :-( But it turned out to be pretty cool. An easy access traverse line on good solid rock with some 'up' lines splitting off at various points. I didn't have any chalk or my boots and the rock was pretty greasy, making it quite hard work but I made it halfway across the traverse before I plopped in the drink. A few swims later and it was time to head home for work. Next time we'll park a bit closer to the cove to make the approach a bit shorter - if the weather continues like this we'll be down there quite often I think! Next time I'll try to get some better pics of the climbing.
 |
| DWS in Torredembarra - my camera battery died so I had to settle for someone else's pic from the web. |
No comments:
Post a Comment